3 Reasons To Consider Remodeling Your Old Home

When you buy an old home, the vintage charm and design may seem so alluring, and you may not want to change a thing about it. However, you may not realize that beneath the old, charming aesthetics, there might be a hidden danger that could lead to life-threatening illnesses. But do not worry. A home remodeling service can help eliminate these risks to ensure your home is as safe as it is charming. With that in mind, this article will highlight three risks of staying in a vintage home so you can seek remodeling services without delay.

1. Exposure to Asbestos

If your home was built in the 1950s, the chances are that its floor tiles, roof shingles, hot water pipes, and insulation contain asbestos. Generally, inhaling asbestos fibers has been known to cause mesothelioma and lung cancer. And with an over 50-year-old home, you can bet the components have seen their best days and could release asbestos fibers in the air if disturbed, putting everyone at great risk. So, what should you do? Simple — engage a home remodeling company. They will remove all the materials containing asbestos and install new quality one to ensure your home is beautiful and safe for your family.

2. Exposure to Lead

There is a good reason the government banned lead paints. If lead finds its way into your body, it can cause brain, kidney, and nerve damage. This is particularly true for young kids. Unfortunately, if you live in an old home, the odds are that the walls you adore may have been painted using lead paint. So, should you join efforts with your spouse and kids to remove it? No, DIY lead paint removal puts you and your family at a greater risk. Leave the job to qualified home remodeling experts who can remove it safely and apply a coat of recommended beautiful paint.

3. Exposure to Mold

Does your old home have a musty smell? If yes, chances are you are dealing with mold infestation. But why is mold so common in old homes? Well, old homes may have roofs with gaps that allow water to collect in the attic and seep into the walls. And the plumbing system may be on its last leg and is leaking. Leaks create moist conditions that favor mold growth. Besides the unpleasant smell, inhaling mold spores can cause fatigue, wheezing, sneezing, congestion, and headache. And the symptoms may be worse if you have asthma or obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Get in touch with a home remodeling expert. They can replace the worn-out roof and plumbing system to prevent leaks and mold infestation. 

Have you bought an old home and are worried about the above risks? With a home remodeling contractor, you can have the best of both worlds—the old home's charm and the safety and comfort of a new one. So, take a deep breath and engage a home remodeling contractor today.